The Baguio-bound tourist bus involved in a crash with an 18-wheeler truck last week is now facing its consequence for the incident. The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) said it would publish a preventive suspension order against Jumbo Transport.
According to a police report, the Jumbo Transport passenger bus driven by Michael Sancajo crashed into a Foton tractor at SCTEX. The collision resulted in the death of 5 people and injury of 49 other passengers.
The bus passengers were barangay officials and staff from Naic in Cavite, reportedly heading up north for the municipal government’s team-building and seminar.
On Sunday, February 3, the LTFRB released the text of the suspension order dated Friday, February 1.
Jumbo Transport’s franchise will be suspended not more than 30 days after the receipt of the order.
The buses’ plates must be surrendered to the LTFRB on February 11.
LTFRB also issued a show-cause order, requiring the operator to appear before the board on February 12 to explain why their franchise should not be revoked.
Jumbo Transport has 10 units under its tourist bus franchise, which is supposed to lapse on December 10, 2021. Its franchise was signed on July 5, 2016, with an approved route to any point of Luzon from Las Piñas City.
The LTFRB said the insurance company has already released P400,000 to assist the victims, pending verification of all claims.
News source: Rappler